Powered by Blogger.

Acer ICONIA A500 16GB, Wi-Fi, 10.1in - Black

I decided that I really was not using my laptop for more than surfing and e-mail. So I sold my laptop and decided to buy a tablet. While I like the IPad, it is relatively expensive. I found a good deal on a refurbished tablet through EBay and am happy with my purchase.

As a long time (before Windows) user of the Microsoft operating systems, it took a bit of learning to figure out what Android was doing. I'm still learning. In the meantime, I have downloaded a lot of apps and can use the tablet for everything from word processing to surfing.

I've used voice recognition and it works well as long as you do not talk too fast. I've taken pictures which were quite good although I am not abandoning my digital camera.

I've added a 32Gb SD card and have loaded material through USB. I am very pleased to have a full size USB connector which seems to work flawlessly. Battery life is about 8 hours of continuous use although I really have not taken the time to explore the life with and without WiFi. I do wish the battery was user replaceable but not too many tablets batteries are.

We have a wireless network in our house and the tablet sometimes disconnects from it. I am still not sure if it is the tablet or my router. I suspect the tablet since my son and family have no trouble using the wireless network when they visit. This is a minor irritant but one which can be easily corrected by disconnecting the tablet from the WiFi network and then reconnecting it.

The tablet is fast which is probably true for most of the tablets using this dual core processor. The screen is crisp and is responsive to touch using my finger or a stylus. I recommend using a stylus which diminishes fingermarks considerably.

I bought a case made for the Iconia and it works well. In fact, most everything works as it is supposed to. Whether buying a refurbished item was the right thing to do, I don't know. I do know it saved a lot of money and the item I received can not be distinguished from new. All the original software was on the tablet and upgrades have come through quite well. The operating system and other upgrades have come through with little trouble.

I like the Iconia and the only problems I have found so far have been minor.

0 comments:

Post a Comment